What are some tips for students who want to get a PhD?
- Understand what a doctorate degree is.
- A PhD offers a different experience per area.
- Be deeply curious about your topic.
Tips for Students Who Want to Get A PhD
If you are a student who wants to get a PhD, you need to understand what a doctorate degree is. You also have to be deeply curious about what you want to study. Also, keep in mind that a PhD offers a different experience for each area. In today’s TIPS, Professor Ricardo Sosa gives advice for aspiring PhD students.
The first tip for students who want to get a PhD is to understand what a PhD is. Talk to people who already have a PhD in your area and ask important questions. According to Ricardo Sosa, a PhD is the culmination of your studies. It is basically the “kindergarten of research.” This means it serves as a training ground on becoming a researcher. It is the entry point for that path.
However, there are many professional pathways reached by attaining a PhD. Getting a doctorate degree does not mean only having a career in academia. Doctorates are in demand in the field of business consultancy, technology, law, and so on. When you are building a life in Australia, a PhD will surely come in handy.
As a professor for 20 years, Ricardo Sosa also emphasizes that you need to be deeply curious about your topic. It needs to be “an itch you really want to scratch.” Having deep philosophical questions about your subject is a great sign. Students who want to get a PhD need to be dedicated to talking, reading and learning about their topic for years.
We hope you learned a lot from these tips for students who want to get a PhD. Best of luck!
This episode was possible thanks to
Bedssi.com (Accommodation Solutions in Australia)
Follow & Subscribe to “TIPS”
Listen to other episodes full of practical and actionable advice.
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or find us on any of these:
Click below to follow TIPS on LinkedIn
You will like these other stories…
- What Surprised You The Most When You Arrived in Australia, Nicolas Duran – 087
- Tips on Using LinkedIn to Find A Job, Ira Bowman – 075
- Tips and advice to survive long haul flights of ten or more hours, Guie Hartney – 019
- The best time for students to look for accommodation when coming to Australia, Sally Picot and Steve Diack – 032
- Top Qualities and Traits of Good Leaders, Sophie den Hartog – 071