What are the biggest challenges for students arriving in a new country?
- Different academic and learning style
- Making friends with locals and other international students
Biggest Challenges for Students Arriving in A New Country
Building a new life in a new place is always difficult. So, what are the biggest challenges for students arriving in a new country? In today’s TIPS, we’re taking a leaf out of Priscila Trevisan’s book. She shares some advice from her experiences as an international student in Australia.
One thing to expect when studying in a new country is a different academic and learning style. For example, the Australian education system is research-focused. The country promotes independent learning and open discussions. This is in contrast to some learning styles where students are told what to read and taught everything they need to study to pass an exam. In some international universities, learning experiences outside the classroom matter just as much.
Another challenge for students arriving in a new country is making friends. It is as important to meet other international students as befriending locals. This camaraderie requires a conscious effort on your part. As the new person coming into some existing groups, this might come as a challenge. However, the effort will be worth it. Many of the friends you meet in a new country would love to keep in touch and will be your friends for years to come.
You can overcome the biggest challenges for students arriving in a new country by managing your expectations. Then, you can learn how to adapt. Priscila Trevisan also reminds us that different doesn’t mean better or worse. So, be brave, be yourself and enjoy the ride!
This episode was possible thanks to
Bedssi.com (Accommodation Solutions in Australia)
Follow & Subscribe to “TIPS”
Listen to other episodes full of practical and actionable advice.
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or find us on any of these:
Click below to follow TIPS on LinkedIn
You will like these other stories…
- Advice to Stop Talking and Start Doing: How to Start Taking Action, Margriet Buseman – 100
- What Surprised You The Most When You Arrived in Australia, Nicolas Duran – 087
- Tips to Have The Best Possible Experience When Arriving in Australia, David Harrison – 043
- The Importance of Having An International Study Experience, David Harrison – 030
- Strategies to Become More Innovative, Margriet Buseman – 098